LEVEL 1 DROUGHT DECLARED BY
October 25, 2019
GEORGIA EPD ISSUES LEVEL 1 DROUGHT RESTRICTIONS
Worsening drought conditions throughout most of the state have prompted a Level 1 Drought Response declaration from the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD).
According to the federal government’s U.S. Drought Monitor, https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?GA the drought has affected the entire state with conditions ranging from abnormally dry to extreme drought. As a result, most of the counties in Georgia must follow the Level 1 Drought Response requirements.
- General outdoor watering is allowed only between 4:00 p.m. and 10:00 a.m.
- Regularly check for, and repair, leaks inside and outside the home or business
- Don’t leave the tap running when shaving, brushing teeth, and face washing
- Only water landscaping when necessary. Adjust sprinklers so only the lawn is watered and not the house, sidewalk, or street
The following activities may be done at any time of day under a Level 1 Drought Response:
- Irrigation of personal food gardens may be done at any time of day;
- Irrigation of new and replanted plant, seed, or turf may be done at any time of day for 30 days after installation;
- Drip irrigation or irrigation using soaker hoses may be done at any time of day; and
- Hand watering with a hose with automatic cutoff or handheld container may be done at any time of day.
More water conservation information is available at: