Photos From Past Agri-Fests Here
The City of Cleveland holds elections in odd numbered years. The election years for the Mayor and Council are staggered and held every two years. The seats for Mayor and Council Ward 1 and Ward 2 have the same election year. Council Ward's 3 and 4 would be elected two years later.
Read more: City Elections
An ordinance is: A law or an act of a city, municipality or local government agency. City Councils have authority to pass ordinances through the Municipal Home Rule Act O.C.G.A. § 36-35-1, as long as these ordinances do not conflict with the laws and Constitution of the State of Georgia or of the United States. It is the most binding form of action a City Council can take. Violating an ordinance may be a misdemeanor unless an ordinance makes it an infraction. (O.C.G.A. § 36-35-6, 36-32-1, 36-32-5)
Read more: City Ordinances
Mayor Don Stanley (sitting) L to R, Rush Mauney, Bradley Greene, Edward Young and Annie Sutton
Mayor Donald Stanley
Mayor Stanley was elected into office in 1982.
Ward 1 – Rush Mauney
Rush Mauney was elected through a special election in 1996 when Council Member Coleman Allen resigned from office.
Ward 2 – Annie Sutton
Annie Sutton is the first African-American woman elected in the City of Cleveland. Ms. Sutton, elected in 2000, beat out long term Council Member Ed Head for the Ward 2 Council Seat.
Ward 3- Edward Young
Edward Young has served the citizens of Cleveland since 1970.
Ward 4 – Bradley Greene
Bradley Greene took office in 2006 in a contested race. Mr. Greene decided to run for office when Council Member John Palmour decided not to run for Ward 4 Council Seat.
Notable Officials Of The Past
Ed Head – served as a City Council Member Ward 2 from 1946 through 2000. A total of 54 years as a public servant to the citizens of Cleveland.
John Palmour served as City Council Member Ward 4 from 1970 until he decided to retire in 2006.
Edith Huff – served as the first female Mayor for Cleveland.
We have 27 guests and no members online
City of Cleveland. 85 S. Main Street Cleveland, Georgia 30528 (706) 865-2017
Cleveland GA: Established in 1857 and incorporated as a town August 18, 1870, Cleveland is the county seat of White County. The old White County courthouse and Museum houses the White County Historical Society. The courthouse, built between 1859 and 1860, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Website by Georgia Down Under Website Design